Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Always the Hostess Never the Guest

The nicest thing happened to me today. While spending time in Upstate New York in a little bungalow, I got invited out for dinner with my kids to my sister in laws summer home a short ride away. I know its not the grandest thing to ever happen, however it is for me as I am always the hostess and never the guest.

Most weekends, I host at least ten dinner guests Friday night. Very often I have family sleep over at my home for the weekend, making it a constant slew of meals, clean ups, snacks and more straightening up. At any time people come knocking on my door and are met with a bite to eat and a friendly ear.

Today however, we were met with a delicous dinner, friends for the children, a visit to the little farm where the children played with chickens, bunnies and a friendly goat. To top it all off, my sister in law gave me a little gift. The whole evening is such an anomaly that it is causing me to write this blog.

A few weeks ago we were in South Africa where we stayed in someone's cottage for just about two weeks. The loveliest food basket was placed in our room, along with body creams, fresh fluffy towels and comfy beds. The hostess was the sweetest and most gracious woman. After week one, the oddest thing happened, she had a complete turn around and became much less inviting to say the least. I would have left had I had the choice, but my circumstances did not allow me to. I learned a lot from that stay on either end of the spectrum.

Although I do enjoy hosting, I like to experience being the guest for it provides me insight of what or what not to do when entertaining or hosting. Thank you to everyone that has ever hosted me for teaching me what to do when being the hostess. And should you ever need a place to stay or a warm meal do not hesitate to call.





No comments:

Post a Comment